Skip to main content.

Back to Web Site

Manchester, Maine 04351
The way life is!


Q. Where do I get a marriage/birth/death certificate?
A.  Vital Records for events occurring in the Town of Manchester are filed in this office.  The fee for a certified copy is $15.00 and $6.00 for any additional copies.

Q. How do I file for a marriage license?

A.  If one party resides in Maine, the intentions must be filed at the resident town .  Then you are free to marry anywhere in Maine.

B.  If both parties reside in Maine, but in separate towns, the intentions may be filed at only one resident town, then you are free to marry anywhere in Maine.   

C.   If parties reside outside the state of Maine, you may file intentions at any municipal office, and then you are free to marry anywhere in Maine.  However, you are  encourage as non-resident to file intentions at the municipal office where you plan to be married for genealogical purposes.  It will be easier many years from now for you to locate the marriage if everything is done in the same municipality).

Previously married persons MUST present, to the municipal clerk, a CERTIFIED copy of a divorce decree, divorce certificate or death certificate, indicating how the last marriage ended. 

Note:  Each party, if a Maine resident, must file intention in a municipal office in the municipality where at leaset one of them resides.  As of July 25th, 2002 if the parties lived in different municipalities they are no longer required to file in both municipal offices.

The fee for filing is $40.00 - paid at the town office. There is no waiting period, and the license is valid for 90 days after the date upon which marriage intentions are filed.  If there are prior marriages, a certified copy of how the last marriage ended (death or divorce) is required.

Q. Where are divorces filed?
A.  Divorces in Maine are filed by county.  If you are a Manchester resident and were divorced here, your record will be on file at the Southern Kennebec County District Court on State Street in Augusta.

Q. How do I register to vote? Where do I vote?
A.  Residents of Manchester register to vote at the Town Office.  You may register to vote at any time including the day of an election.  Polling place is at the Fire Department from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Q. What is the schedule of the Selectmen's meetings?
A.  The Selectmen meet for regular business the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month.  Special meetings are scheduled on an as-needed bases.

Q. What types of business licenses do I need to operate within the Town of Manchester?
A.  We have variations of licenses and a fee schedule on file at the Town Clerk's Office.  Please come in or call to determine if your type of business needs to be licensed locally.

Q. Am I required to file my business name with the Town?
A.  Yes, unless you are incorporated.  The fee is $10.00 to file or withdraw a business name. 

Q. Where do I get my hunting/fishing license?
A.  All Inland Fisheries and Wildlife licenses are available at the Town Clerk's Office.  Fees vary.

Q. Where do I get a document notarized?
A.  We have notaries on staff at the Town Office. 

This is the official site of the Town of Manchester